If you have just discovered Matcha, you might have a few questions about it. In order to fully take advantage of Matcha Tea and its health benefits its important to understand the basics about it and even go in depth on where it comes from and how to best use it.
Here are some of the most common questions about matcha, answered.
1. Does Matcha taste bitter and grassy? Matcha can taste very bitter and grassy only if its a low quality brand. A high quality matcha will taste floral, smooth, earthy and creamy without any bitterness to it.
2. How much caffeine does matcha have? 1 cup of matcha (2g of matcha powder) contains about 64mg of caffeine
3. Is matcha better than coffee? Matcha is considered to be a much better option than coffee since it gives you a slow release of caffeine throughout the day instead of a fast release caffeine which might give you jitters and also a crash after a few hours. More information here
4. How much matcha powder should I use? A typical cup of matcha contains about 2g of matcha (2 bamboo scoops)
5. How should I store my matcha? Matcha should be stored in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container
6. What are the health benefits of matcha? Matcha has various health benefits, from brain function enhancement to detox and immunity boosting. Find out all about its health benefits in this article.
7. Can I consume matcha daily? It is suggested to consume matcha tea daily in order to fully take advantage of its health benefits and performance enhancement.
8. How many cups can I have per day? Its best to limit matcha to only 2 cups per day
9. What time should I drink matcha? The best time to drink matcha is in the morning when you wake up and also in the early afternoon 3-4pm.
10. What is the difference between matcha and loose leaf green tea? The difference between matcha and loose leaf green tea is that with matcha you consume the whole tea leaf while with loose leaf green tea you only consume the water that the leafs were steeped in. Learn about about their differences here.
11. What is the difference between the various matcha types? There are a few different types of matcha and each one is suitable for different uses and recipes. Premium and Super Premium Matcha is best for beverages, the super deal match is great for beginners and culinary matcha is best for recipes such as desserts and savoury dishes. Learn more here.
13. What matcha accessories do I need to have? To get started with matcha you will need a matcha kit. Here you can find the whole kit and here you can find out how to use it.
14. Where does matcha come from? Matcha was invented in China over 2,000 years ago and then perfected in Japan. Green tea was ground into powder in China 2,000 years ago. A Buddhist monk named Eisai first brought tea seeds to Japan in large quantities in 1191. Learn more about the history of matcha here.
15. Can matcha help me focus? Yes! Matcha is well known for improving attention and focus. Learn more about it here.
16. How do I prepare matcha? First, scoop the matcha powder into a sifter (we recommend about two bamboo scoops of matcha powder per bowl.) Sift the matcha into the matcha bowl, then add about 2-4 ounces (75-100ml) of water and whisk until frothy. See the full recipe here.
17. Can I use it in recipes? Yes! You can use matcha in many dessert recipes as well as savoury dishes, check out our recipes here.
18. How long does one tin last? If you consume matcha tea daily one tin can last from 1 to 2 months depending on how many cups you have daily.
19. Why is ceremonial matcha more expensive than the other types? Ceremonial matcha typically is more expensive as it is the highest quality matcha. It is produced from the very first leaves of the tea tree and has the most health benefits as well as the best taste.
20. Can matcha help with my mental health? The antioxidants in matcha have been shown to improve mental health as well as memory, attention and focus. The L-theanine content in matcha helps promote calmness and stress relief as it activates the alpha waves in our brain. Read more about it here.
We hope that we have answered all of your questions on matcha! If you have any more questions don’t hesitate to leave a comment. You can also visit our instagram page for ideas on how to use matcha in creative ways.
Ready to begin your matcha journey?
Thank you for reading! Share this article with your friends and family!
Check our our instagram for inspiration @koyochatea and our recipes!